The calla lilies have been growing all winter, and the flowers are in their glory. This one truly is a weed, with seedlings and bulbils sprouting all over.
Whereas the peonies are not even showing above the ground here, my father's tree peony is showing a number of buds, soon to open.
The tete-a-tete narcissus are more like menage-au-trois in his garden. They are so vigorous that in the summer, the dormant bulbs are literally spilling out of the ground and have to be shoved into whatever open spots are left. Then in the spring, up they pop. This same narcissus is barely showing above the ground here in Albuquerque, and when they do show, they seem like they barely have the energy to do anything.
I wondered what this bulb was a few months ago, and it is now showing a pale luminous flower .
The camellia has been blooming for a month or so now, whereas all my garden is showing is winter damage. My sister remarked upon how mild this winter was for them! Waah!
I'm guessing by the photos that you grew up in the southeast. We moved to Albuquerque from Atlanta, and these are the flowers I remember, especially in my mother-in-law's Auburn, Alabama garden.
ReplyDeleteThere are a lot of plants that grow in the Bay area that are similar to those that grow in the Southeast. I guess I chose those that are particularly characteristic.
ReplyDeleteSo when does spring start in Germany? When do the bulbs start to bloom? I've seen some photos of incredibly beautiful gardens there. I think the winters would kill me!
I thought I answered your question, so I have to apologize! I’m sorry.
ReplyDeleteWell spring in Germany, it’s difficult to say because we have a very irregular weather, last winter was hard (the last weeks of it with nearly no snow), but we also had years where almost no snow has fallen, with just a few weeks of frost. We have no frost in the night for about 10 days now. Bulbs started to bloom late this year & it’s still not that impressive. The only impressive at the moment are the forsythia.
Indeed there are many great gardens in Germany, and the winter: I always thought they are cold in Albuquerque too.
Sounds like the winters here are not much milder (if at all) than what you get. But your spring is a few weeks later than here. One day I'll have to do a garden tour!
ReplyDelete