Salvia argentea is only supposed to be hardy to zone 8, so I was surprised to see the new growth coming up from each of my plants where throughout the winter there was only brown mushy felt.
People say that the leaves are soft and silky, by the leaves on my plants are rough and kind of sticky.
Once the spring growth starts, they grow amazingly rapidly. These were just showing some signs of life last week. It's hard to tell from the photographs, but the new leaves on the top plant (the biggest one) are a little more than a foot across. The one below is about 8 inches from leaf tip to leaf tip.
Nice to see anything that makes it. I think a Salvia cohuilensis you gave me made it, as it was hiding in the shelter of a dead Agave scabra just removed!
ReplyDeleteMy Salvia coahuilensis made it just fine, but I just took it all out since it was becoming too rambunctious and engulfing everything. The multitude of rhizomes made a thick mat. I'm sure seeds will pop up anyway. My Salvia chamaedryoides seems to have done BETTER this year than previous years. What's up with that? It's supposed to be barely zone 7b.
ReplyDelete